CSE 320: Programming Languages @ CSU, San Bernardino
- Chapter 12 of PLAI. It is highly recommend to do the exercises in the book.
The focus in this reading should be on the following concepts:
- What is "representation"?
- What happens when a language's features are mapped directly to equivalent host language features?
- What are the pros and cons of using existing host language features to represent your language features?
- What are two ways the book gives to represent closures?
- What are two ways the book gives to represent the environment?
- “A lambda is not (necessarily) a closure” by Andy Wingo. This is an interesting example of a representation decision in a real programming language. Astute observers will also notice that this had previously been assigned as an advanced reading a few weeks ago. Hopefully it's more approachable now!
No advanced reading this time!