CSE 320: Programming Languages @ CSU, San Bernardino
- Chapter 8 of PLAI. It is highly recommend to do the exercises in the book.
The focus in this reading should be on the following concepts:
- What is a box? What is it used for?
- Why does adding sequencing require the interpreter to take and return the environment?
- What is the "store," and why is it needed? How does adding the store change the environment?
- How does adding state change the semantics of existing operations, like addition and multiplication?
- What is the difference between identifiers and variables?
- What are "call by value" and "call by reference?" What is the difference between them?
This reading is actually a preview of the next lab!
- “The Essence of Functional Programming” by Philip Wadler.
Nothing this week. The main reading is enough, and I want everyone to focus on understanding it.